We are what we eat

Ever heard the phrase "you are what you eat"?

Of course you do! It has become a universal phrase to this day that everyone have atleast heard it once. It's a notion that to be fit and healthy, you need to eat healthily. Really. This, is believe to originate from an essay written in 1826 by some French guy named Brillat-savarin who wrote
"Dis-moi ce que tu manges, je te dirai ce que tu es." [Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are]
And of course a few other brilliant writers was reported have also wrote it in a different manner in the 19th century. Though I've never actually read the essay, I couldn't agree more on the phrase.

When I lived in Msia and first arrived in the UK I couldn't be bothered on what I eat on a daily basis. Deep fried food, mmm yumm! I eat when I'm hungry and sometimes worst, I only ate junk and processed food. I dread cooking. Because of this I've had very sensitive skin. Constantly sick and more often than not I'd developed rashes and I never really had deep thought about it let alone fathom the reasons behind it.

Then after a year living with 5 girls in a flat near London bridge, each of them from different continents, I've noticed about something that the western pay attention to more than us. Apart from other things food is one of them. They eat a lot of raw and steam vege. Sometimes grilled poultry and they cook all the time. When buying groceries they choose wisely. Nobody ever tell them what to eat and what to drink and such.

Once I was on my way home on a train, I saw a young guy eating. I can see that he was hungry since it was already 7pm. So he was eating. But you know what he ate? A plastic bags of fresh vegetables. So consumed that I think the vege was like his big Mac.



























And once I was back in Msia, just got married, it was the time prosperity burger came out. I love prosperity burger to death, I ate it every single day for a month. It was horrible. I found out this is what fast food like McDonalds do to you, I gained huge amount of weight. I felt tired constantly, emotionally unstable and I felt that I was so ugly I couldn't bare looking in the mirror. My husband did what was a very very wise decision. He registered us in a gym with a personal trainer in a package.

For the first time I had meals diary. Noted what I ate and what time I ate. It was a small thing but it sure does have huge effect. For once we realized how unhealthy we were. We consumed a lot of sugar and fried oily food. After we got scolded by the trainer, we went on a detox. Nothing major. A lot of plain water to flush out all the toxic. Eat brown rice. Grilled chicken. Something boiled or steam. And no sugar after 11am. And lots and lots of exercise.

Honestly, it never felt great! Waking up in the morning seems easy and energized. And since then I've never had any rashes on my sensitive skin. And my brain is able to learn and understand more easily. Not exaggerating. I'm being very serious. See my face  ^_^ ? Ok, maybe not that emoticon. But you get what I mean.

And then I had more realization (I had a lot..haha). It's not just how we feed our body. It's how we feed our brain and heart. I realized we have to take care of what we have. Allah s.w.t gave us this body to live in and it's our responsibility to care it as best as we can.

Apart from healthy food for the body, reading books and learning new knowledges everyday is the food for the brain and reading Quran everyday is the food for our heart. Our prophet (pbuh) said:
"Verily in the body there is such a piece that if it remains alright the whole body keep well but if this piece of flesh develops some defect the whole body becomes unhealthy. Behold, - this piece of flesh - it is heart." (Bukhari, Muslim..)
I pray that all is well and in the pink of health. Love yourself. Love Allah.


Toodles.

17 comments:

Reena said...

 Alamakk i suka dessert macam ice cream semua tu. And pizza. And nasi lemak ayam yang kulit dia rangup dengan telur mata kerbau yang telur kuning dia cair. Hmmmmm..

hanafedora said...

Haha I do too! So I took it moderately. Not all the time. Maybe twice a month or so.

honey umaira said...

ahhah! gotch u...i already open ur blog twice today....:) thnks for updating it... u make me feel scared..heheeh... but, i take note bout plain water..everytime, every where i bring my plain water...thnks hana...:) 

Riesyarazuwan said...

I have the worst skin too. Hmmm.

sesegar said...

waaa..so inspiring.. :)

SM@A said...

Salam sis ....

Semoga dirahmati Allah.
I pun macam you jugak once upon a time.
Now, as much as possible, I nak ikut cara Rasullullah S.A.W amalkan.  Madu, habbatussauda, susu kambing, kurma, oat etc.  Alhamdulillah, kesihatan makin baik.
I observe ramai Chinese ambik kurma, madu, susu kambing.   

Taste Of Tapah said...

sangat menarik the way you wrote this article...

akan membuat meals diary secepat mungkin

Fazlina Badri Uzzaman said...

Agreed and now I'm trying to build up awareness on what I eat and what I prepare for the family but it's not easily said than done..huhuhu.. wish me luck. 

Syarifah Nadhirah said...

 Hi Hanafedora! :D I would like to express how I adore you, ever since I first read your blog. You have since become my inspiration, as you convey a really good image or female figure of Muslim women. Truly, I love reading your blog. Oops, forgot to introduce myself. My name is Syarifah Nadhirah, currently studying Foundation in Architecture at UIA. It has been my ultimate dream to study overseas, especially in the UK, and seeing you having fulfilled your dream made me realize how I should chase for my dreams. If you don't mind me asking, What course did you actually major in? 

My blog url : http://deeokay.blogspot.com/

hanafedora said...

Soo sorrt for the late update. I've been really busy :) but why u scared? Hehe

hanafedora said...

I did too. Icthy, dry n sensitive. But in the quran mentioned water is the cure of all deseases and also honey. Try taking it. And tawakkal. And if u have extra money, go to a dermatology.

hanafedora said...

I'm glad :)

hanafedora said...

Salam, may u're under Allah protection :) thanks for the info but what is haubatussada? And i agree. Sometimes we can learn a thing or two from the non muslim kan?

hanafedora said...

Salam. Lol. Go do it now :) it's fun n it keeps track of what we put in our body.

hanafedora said...

Especially nowadays it's so difficult to find something pure n healthy kan. Everything are processed n preserved. Kene tanam pokok sendiri la kt rumah aunty. Hahaha. To get organics, it's a bit expensive but i guess it's an investment to our body.

hanafedora said...

Salam sharifah nadhirah :) wow architecture is such a hard work course. My sister is doing hers here in London too. I did a course in electrical n electronics engineering for my undergraduate.

Ariqairada said...

I am guilty as charge..GULP... :(